Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Economic crisis being felt worldwide

To build off of the previous post by K.Stines, I thought I'd discuss an article I stumbled upon in the Australian web edition of "Crikey," an independent newspaper based down under. The article is a collection of recent economic statistics from countries across the world, along with some commentaries from various news outlets. It shows just how global this economic crisis has become, and does a great job of presenting info in short, easy to understand pieces (so for those of you who, like me, can't stand listening to boring economic figures/stats and stock market lingo, you don't have to worry). Check out the article here.

What really worries me about this whole economic problem is the future, and the state of the world economy as a whole in 5 to 10 years. As a current college student, I'd really like to have a positive outlook on my own personal future, and feel confident about getting a "real" job in the near future (sorry McDonald's, but I'd rather not flip burgers for the rest of my life).

Some "pundits" think that the bailout approved by Congress will not ultimately fix anything. If that's the case, what comes next? Complete anarchy? Black Tuesday all over again, only this time on a worldwide scale? The bottom line: thinking positively about the word "economy" is becoming an increasingly difficult task. Will the Congress-approved bailout help the U.S. economy and other world economies? Hopefully. But until then, watching "Billy Madison" and avoiding the Wall Street Journal will keep me from a daily dose of depression.

No comments: