Tuesday, October 21, 2008

And the award for "Most Paranoid Country" goes to...

...Iran. By Far. Here's why:

Iranian officials recently arrested two pigeons for spying. Let me stop right there for a second. Let that just kind of sink into your brain for a moment...

They arrested two pigeons. Seriously. When I hear the word "arrested" I immediately flash to a scene similar to this...

Now picture that scene with a pigeon in place of the guy being led into the cop car.

Apparently one pigeon was detained near Iran's uranium enrichment facility, while the other was apprehended beside a rose water production plant. The uranium facility has long created controversy between the Iranian government and Western countries, for obvious suspicion of foul nuclear activity. According to sources, both pigeons were described as having metal rings and invisible string attached to their bodies.

Alright, so I can understand why Iranian officials would be suspicious. I can understand their concern. But what is the point in arresting the pigeons? Are they planning on questioning them to find out if they were, in fact, sent on a top-secret spy mission by a rival or opposing country?

Ironically, this isn't the first time animals have been arrested for spying in Iran. In July 2007, 14 squirrels were arrested near the Iranian border for apparent espionage.

Honestly, if I was the leader of a country, I'd call upon my most dependable squirrels to execute my most important reconnaissance missions.

All kidding aside, this story shows the level of security and paranoia surrounding nuclear activity not only in Iran, but across the globe. As college students in America, we can only hope that this tension never escalates to anything more than what it is now, which is simple paranoia.

I just hope I never have to look over my shoulder to make sure I'm not being followed by a pigeon or squirrel working for Iran...

No comments: